How HICAP Helps
The Council on Aging’s Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) offers unbiased individualized counseling,
community outreach, and public education about Medicare and other related health insurance topics. HICAP counselors are state-registered staff and
volunteers, trained to answer your health insurance questions free of charge.
HICAP is part of the national network of State Health Insurance and Assistance Programs, a member of California Health Advocates, and funded in
part by the California Department of Aging. This makes HICAP the most dependable source of unbiased, accurate, and up-to date Medicare-related
information for the counties we serve.
HICAP counselors can help individuals understand:
- Benefits and enrollment
- Prescription drug plan coverage
- Medicare Advantage plans
- Supplemental policies (Medigap)
- Employee and retiree coverage
- Affordable Care Act
- Medicare limited income assistance programs
- Long-term care insurance
In addition, HICAP can:
- Provide legal assistance with Medicare appeals and administrative hearings
- Help recognize and combat Medicare fraud and abuse
- Provide speakers on the above topics to community groups
Medicare rules and regulations are complex and confusing. Because of this complexity, seniors often have difficulty with important aspects of Medicare,
such as filing claims and appeals rights.